Monday, September 28, 2015

hoot and holler!

New transfer, new adventures! and oh man has the beginning of this one been a hoot and a holler!

We went to Charleston where Sister Miller picked up her new companion, I hopped in a giant van to take me to Morgantown, and I said goodbye to my old sisters! I'll miss seeing them all the time, but I know the Lord has mighty work for me! It's kinda crazy, because we have all sorts of generations in the mish goin' on. Sister Erickson (my new companion) trained Sister Sorensen, and Sister Sorensen trained me. I trained Sister Miller, and now she's training a new missionary, and we kinda look at it as being moms and grandmas! It's kinda fun, so we took a "multi-generational" picture. Sister Sorensen is training again, so I have a new little sis! 

On our way up to Morgantown (my new area is in Fairmont, but Morgantown was the meeting point) about an hour and a half into the drive, our van broke down, so we had to wait for 3 hours for someone to come pick us up! Talk about miserable! It was super hot, and super boring, but I got to bond with the sisters that I'll be working with, and we made our own fun! Finally someone picked us up, and we headed back on our way to our new areas! I met Sister Erickson, and let me tell ya! This girl is wonderful, and I love her to death already!!!!  It's weird to have a friend/comp who is as tall as me, and I often find it weird that when we talk, we're actually face to face. She is the sweetest thing ever, and she LOVES ice cream... uhoh! We've been doing a lot of good work, and we've been really focusing on finding. We're over 6 sets of sisters, and so that also keeps us busy! She's a college athlete, so she's whipping me into shape. the other day we did a workout that basically killed me... ugh! But it's good for me!!

Second day in the area, we decide to go visit a less active member who lives up a hollow, for those who forgot what a hollow is, it's basically a road you never wanna go up because you'll get stuck in our little putt-putt car and won't be able to get out.... as we're driving up this giant hill, covered in lose gravel, we start to spin out at the top, and Sis. E slams on the breaks... well now we can't go forward, because she'll continue to spin out, so I decided to back her down this hill.... well, at the angle of the car, as she was backing down, she was just about 2 inches from scraping it with this tree that was in the way. In order to avoid the tree, she starts driving in the tall grass and plants, and I'm working my way through the shrub to ensure that she's not going to hit anything else. As I'm in the shrub, I notice a giant ditch that she's about the drive in if she goes backwards anymore, so I tell her to stop... now we're really in trouble. She can't go forward, or she'll continue to spin out, and she can't go backward, or she'll drive right into this ditch. We felt pretty helpless.

if you've ever seen this this mormon message you'll see that this guy tried to put sticks under his tire, and it didn't work... we'll we're here to tell you that it really doesn't work... because we trekked through the woods, looking for sticks, and it didn't help at all. :)

Basically we had to call some elders for help, and they came in their nice truck to save us. As they were driving our way, we hiked up the hill to see if anyone was home at the top to help us. There was a different less-active member who said he'd come and help. Basically these three men (two of which were really tiny elders) lifted the car over this ditch as Sis. E backed it up. The front right tire had nothing underneath. they we're literally carrying the car across this thing. It was intense, and there's no way the Lords hand wasn't involved. Moral of the story, everything is okay, and we are never driving up that road again. We'll just walk it if we have to.

I love this mission, and I love missionary work! I can't believe I have a year left, and I wish it was longer.... AHHHH!

anyways, I love you all! My new address is

25 Murray Ave
apt 3
Fairmont, WV 26554

send me MAIL PLEASE!
Love, Sister Kirkby

No comments:

Post a Comment