Thursday, April 2, 2015

MTC (Made to Change)



Hello Everyone!

Here I am, April 2nd, at the Provo MTC where it's snowing. yes. snowing. It's actually very annoying and I don't like it at all, but the MTC experience is seriously so life changing.

It's crazy I've been here a week. The most actuate thing someone has said about the MTC is that the days feel like weeks, and the weeks feel like days. You seriously can't ever remember what we did on specific days, because they all just smash together into one really long day.

Basically your day starts off by waking up at 6:00am, breakfast, classroom study time, then teaching (Yes, we actually teach investigators in the MTC!). Then we eat lunch, head back to the classroom where we meet with our teacher. She'll teach us for about three hours, we'll teach again, and the we have gym time. I thought I'd hate gym time, but my companion is a champ at volleyball, and has totally taken it upon her to teach me how to play better, so as a district we totally "ball it up". [Moms Note: Anyone else noticing the irony of the 4'7" companion teaching the 6' companion how to play VOLLYBALL!!!] After gym we eat dinner (it feels like we're always eating, and the food at the MTC actually isn't that great....) Then after dinner we teach again. (depending on the days is how often we teach. We don't teach three investigators every day.) After teaching we go back to class and have a different teacher tell us all about how to become amazing missionaries, and then we head back to the residence hall at 9:30, where we prep for bed, and the finally sleep at 10:30.

Day's are pretty similar, and I seriously love it. You know how missionaries always say they learn so much at the MTC? Well, they really do.

Some things I've really learned about while being here.
1. Always make the lessons your teaching personal to the investigator. Don't just teach them as if your checking off a to-do list.
2. Our purpose as missionaries is to bring investigators closer to Christ, and to help them develop a relationship with God. This mission isn't about us. one. single. bit. (I already knew this, but it's definitely been reiterated while being here.
3. Repentance isn't just about going through the process when you do something bad, but it's about changing your life every single day, to become a better person. Every day we're repenting... This is something I've never thought about, and it was humbling to learn.
4. The Book of Mormon is applied everywhere you go.

My district is really fun, and so is my companion. I don't know if my mom told you all, by my companion is literally 4 feet, 7 inches. We look pretty great walking around the MTC. Her name is Sister Brower, and she is from Layton, UT. There are two other sisters in the district. We all get along pretty well, and we pray and cry with each other daily. We have three elders in our district, and they're in a "tripanionship" Everyone in my district is headed to West Virginia, except for one Elder, who is headed to Mesa, AZ. We definitely all feel like family during this time where we are away from our own.

This Sunday is Easter, and also general conference, and I've heard that experiencing both of those events in the MTC is really a great thing, so I'm excited.

I head to West Virginia next tuesday, April 7, at 3:30 in the morning.. great. :) Honestly I am really excited to be out in the mission, and I'm ready for my time at the MTC to be done. I feel bad for the elders and sisters who have to stay here for months, because of a new language they have to learn.

I've really had some life changing moments here in the MTC, and I am so glad that I'm here. It's exactly where I need to be.

I can't figure out how to load pictures, and it's really sad, because my companion and I are adorable, but maybe when I'm in West Virginia i'll be able to figure it out.

I've seen lots of people that I know here at the MTC, which include Ashely Linton (EFY), Baylor Bateman (Westlake), Ashtyn Heninger (Westlake), and the one and only Sarah Adams, one of my best friends from Snow. It's really great to run into people you know. :)

Thanks for all your prayers and support!
...also, I WANT EMAILS! :) please :)


Love, Sister Kirkby!
brianne.kirkby@myldsmail.net

No comments:

Post a Comment