Monday, April 20, 2015

Sister Kirby & Swanson: The Holler Back Girls



Hello everybody!

Miss ya, and love ya! Being my first full week in the mission field, I've gotta say, it's been pretty great. God has already blessed me so much with learning and growing opportunity, and I couldn't be happier.
A few of the best things about West Virginia:

  • Everyone calls me Sister Kirby, and my companion (Sister Sorensen), Sister Swanson.
  • It's been cloudy and rainy all week, and I actually really love it! (It's sunny and hot today though, unfortunately :( )
  • Everyone is so genuine and humble, and always say "I don't want to offend you" when they reject the gospel.
  • Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has a pet. This week I've met a dog who prays, a dog who counts, and cat with one eye, and he cutest baby cat in this world. We almost took the cat home with us.


In West Virginia, there's these roads called hollows (pronounced holler), that are very narrow, and surround by trees all around, and are constantly up and down. They are actually pretty dangerous, and you have to be careful when driving on one. A couple of days ago we were in one, trying to find a less-active family, and Sister Sorensen literally almost hit a dog. It ran out of no where, and I FREAKED. She didn't believe me! She didn't even see the dog, and kept laughing and laughing.... It was a good memory.

We did a lot of service this week, tore up someones flower gardens, as spring time is approaching and everyone is planting their gardens, and we also painted a shed this gray color. Sis Sorensen kept attacking me with paint.... not the business. ;)

We also planted a jalapeno plant in our apartment, and named it Stephy. We're way stoked about it!

This week We've had the opportunity to teach a progressive investigator named Mike. He's seriously the greatest. He's really taught me a lot about repentance, and has been a great example to me. He's done a lot of bad things in his life, and might even end up having to do jail time, because of the choices he's made, but over the last year, as he's been dealing with the consequences of his actions, he's been meeting with missionaries, and has been able to apply the Atonement in his life, and really change his life around. It's really incredible.

Well thanks all for the love and support I've been feeling! I love you all, and I love this gospel! The Atonement is real, and it's for EVERYONE!
Love, Sister Kirkby

No comments:

Post a Comment