Monday, January 18, 2016

wherefore didst thou doubt?

Hello!
Transfers are coming up next week, and I hope I say in Fairmont. I've learned a lot being here, and it has a special place in my heart. The people I've met have changed my life, and I feel so blessed to be a missionary. :)

This week was pretty good. It's gotten really really cold, but not as cold as it is in my cousin Amanda's mission... buurrrrrr (-30?!) We're scheduled to get 2ft of snow on Friday, and last week it snowed a little bit too. The worst part about the snow out here is that it freezes right after it's done falling, so the roads turn into pure sheets of ice. We have a hill right next to our house that we tried to drive up, but it wasn't a very smart idea, because once we ALMOST got to the top, we started spinning out... Sis Marsh stops the car, and I get out to back her down the hill. She releases the brake, and literally slides down the hill. super fast. She's sliding, tires aren't even turning, and I'm running after her as she screams "SISTER KIRKBY! SISTER KIRKBY!" I guess the Spirit won out and told her to put the car in drive, and it helped a bit. She stopped, we parked the car, and didn't drive the rest of the night. It was, y'know, an adventure I guess.

This week in sacrament meeting we're singing with the elders, and so we've been practicing for that. It's really great to bring the Spirit into the room though music. Often Sister Marsh and I will sing during lessons, especially when the Spirit is missing, and I love the power that it brings.

Usually on Monday nights we eat dinner at the Bishops house, but last night they didn't sign up, and we were kinda bummed out, but it was whatever. We set some plans to follow up with some potential investigators, and I was just not feeling it at all. Sister Marsh has taught me a lot about faith lately, and as I prayed to have more faith like her, we knocked on a family's door we met a few weeks ago. Immediately they opened up, and they are SO elect. They have a 13 year old daughter who might as well be in her late 20's when it comes to spiritual maturity. They've gone through a lot, and they asked all the right questions that the gospel can answer. It was a miracle, and I love how faith is what brings about miracles.

We had a district meeting this past week where an elder related faith to Star Wars. He's a star wars junkie, and so he told the story of when Luke had to go to the degaba(sp?) system to learn from Yoda about the force. He crashes, and Yoda tells him to use the force to get his x-wing from out of the swamp. Luke starts to succeed, but when he opens his eyes, and after he hears R2 freak out, he looses FAITH and gives up. he then tells Yoda that he's expect to do the impossible, and Yoda chastises him, and asks why he doubts? We read in Matt 14: 25-31 essentially the same story where Peter walks on water. Peter does the Lords will, and walks out to meet him, and succeeds for a little while, but when he sees the waters raging, he looses hope and faith, and starts to sink. My favorite is how Christ reaches out immediately to help, but also asks why he's doubted. The Lord is always here for us, but we need to have FAITH in order to see MIRACLES happen. I want to challenge all of you to exercise a little bit more faith so that you can see miracles happen in your lives.

I love you all so much! Thanks for all the prayers and support!
Love, Sister Kirkby

No comments:

Post a Comment